[GRASS-dev] Soc - wxNviz proposal

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Apr 1 02:17:56 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> probably it would be a good idea to continue in wxNviz [1] development
> which started as Google SoC 2008 project [2]. Improved wxNviz should
> completely replace TCL/TK-based Nviz in GRASS 7.0. The upcoming Soc
> 2010 is good occasion for that.

yes, it would be great to get wxNviz (somewhat) completed.

> I wonder if there is a student who is interested to do the job. I
> started working on wxNviz two years ago, the last year I participated
> in the SoC program as a mentor. Some weeks ago I started thinking to
> downgrade myself to be a student and to complete the unfinished job. I
> know that student->mentor->student is acceptable for Google (but still
> not "kosher" for me).

Since you are a PhD student, I don't see a problem here.

> So I would like to ask the community (you) first
> if you agree that I submit the proposal. Please feel free to update
> wiki page [3] and to add wanted features for fully-featured wxNviz (or
> 3D view wxGUI extension).
>
> Cheers, Martin
>
> [1] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxNviz
> [2] http://code.google.com/soc/2008/osgeo/appinfo.html?csaid=FB0A81AE65AEC356
> [3] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:WxNviz#Proposal_for_Google_SoC_2010

Especially the "New features" section there is promising - but of course the
completion of yet missing features is important, too.

Apparently nobody else speaks up to work on this, so please consider
to submit your proposal.

Markus