[GRASS-dev] Modules for GPU-based upgrade?

Seth Price seth at pricepages.org
Fri Apr 2 14:02:57 EDT 2010

I'm a student interested in a Summer of Code project to improve some
modules with GPU-based code. In theory, this could result in a 50x
speedup for embarrassingly parallel operations (ie. raster). There is
a list of some possible modules for upgrade here:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GPU

What would the GRASS community think of also including these modules
as options for improvement? Do they need a speedup? Am I missing
anything?

- r.resamp.interp (spline & Lanczos would be added)
- r.slop.aspect
- r.texture
- i.sunhours
- i.vi

These also work out well for my thesis work (land cover
classification), which gives me extra motivation. ;)
~Seth