[GRASS-dev] v.external, ogr direct access, topology and pseudo-topology.... a bit confused

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 12:46:50 EDT 2010

I open a new post on the argument because it's something more general
that me and my collegues need to unsertstand.
I've tried to make the point with the various vector structures and
modes in grass7 and I admit to be a bit confused.

 - v.external is meant to read ogr data sources without the
topoloigcal overhead. Questions:
    - what is meant by pseduo-topology?
    - does the 'b' option is referred to pseudo-topology creation? If
I set it, I cannot see the map and the "zoom to selected map" gives me
an empty error box...

 - direct read/write access creates the same topo structure as native
access, but it builds it each time I open the data source. Am I wrong?
Is it too simplicistic my understanding?

My first concern is about the use of simple features in the grass
environment, and tha ability to write SF algorithms that don't require
topology to be built. This is a requirement in daily work, mostly when
we deal with unclean polygonal data but the topology is not required
(ie simple feature operators, etc.).
Maybe this could be based on the v.external approach...

Could you help us to clarify ideas?
thanks a lot,
giovanni