[GRASS-dev] GNU scientific library in GRASS

Jarek Jasiewicz jarekj at amu.edu.pl
Tue Apr 13 11:48:44 EDT 2010

Soeren Gebbert pisze:
> Hello,
>
> 2010/4/13 Jarosław Jasiewicz <jarekj at amu.edu.pl>:
>
>> Hi All!
>>
>> What about using GNU scientific library  (gsl) in GRASS module?
>>
>> Will it create additional dependencies?
>>

> Yes.
>

>> What about compiling on windows?
>> Any other contraindications??
>>
>> In general what I want to use I cannot find in gmath library.
>>

> What kind of algorithms are missing in gmath library?

thanks for answer and hint.

In general I have almost created module (v.surf.trend) to fit
polynominal 2,5D surface to set of points (in theory any order of
plynominal, but in fact up to 6  or 10 order).
I used for it gsl_multifit_linear and gsl_multifit_linear_svd wich work
for now well on sample dataset
now   I try to expeand it with some addational functions like
gsl_multifit_wlinear and gsl_multifit_linear_est (rather experimentally)

and finally must create GRASS io and interface section to finish it.

I look into ccmath and what I found is pplsq, but I'm not sure I will
easily expand it to 2D surface (it differs form gsl which is genearlly
based on "Numerical recipies..."). I do not  know ccmath I saw it for
the first time so I cannot surely say there is all I need.
In general it is possible to solve problem with some additional
programing effort but with gsl I have given solution.

On the other hand gsl is in practice available in almost all linux
installation except these most limited...

Again thanks for answer. I think now I will finish it on my way and
start test, and next I can think about rewrite it with ccmath for GRASS 7

Jarek.

**