[GRASS-dev] Non ASCII in GISBASE, LOCATION, MAPSET, MAP

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 03:26:43 EDT 2010

2010/4/20, Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com>:
> G_legal_filename is used in lib/init/set_data.c to check MAPSET and
> LOCATION_NAME. Does it mean that there are no restrictions for
> GISBASE?

Recently there where fixes to permit various characters in GISBASE. It
should work with space and non-latin characters, as users on Windows
might have no control over GISBASE and GISDBASE paths.

>> As you know, vector map names are further restricted to valid SQL
>> identifiers. Personally, I'd like to see that restriction removed.
>> There's no fundamental reason why a map's attribute table must have
>> *exactly* the same name as the map; an approximation (e.g. with
>> invalid characters replaced by underscores) would suffice, IMHO.
>
> Just simple replacement results in duplicate names, does not?
>
> Radim

Replacement isn't an option for non-latin based languages - i.e. how
would look map name with replacement characters for "āšņļ" (latin
based), "ЙЦУКЕН" (Cyrillic) or "仪仫们仭"?
One option would be to use some internal ID for SQL table names, still
it would be not so hacker-friendly.

Maris.

PS. Radim - thumbs up for keeping alive this discussion :)