[GRASS-dev] New version of the r.landscape.evol.py Landscape Evolution module uploaded to the GRASS Addons repository.

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 02:01:31 EDT 2010

Isaac wrote:
> Why put out the next stable version of GRASS with clearly inferior
> capabilities? This IMO is simple guaranteeing the quick obsolescence
> of the stable GRASS version for anyone actually interested in doing
> state-of-the-art, cutting-edge, robust research with it.

you can have cutting-edge*, or you can have stable and robust (aka
well-tested). you can't have both. For "stable" releases it is best
to be intentionally conservative.

(* the old dumb joke is to call it bleeding-edge because the closer you
get to it the more you get sliced by it)

e.g. the nasty bug which happened when scripts used uppercase character
flags had its damage limited to development svn builds only and was
flushed out by some months of testing-time.

As long as it is planned well in advance and well defined, there is no
big problem to backport the new -f MDF flag to 6.4.x AFAIAC, just don't
do that in the last few days before release, wait a few weeks for the
next minor point version. There are a couple of other features on a
similar path for 6.4.1. (For releases after x.y.1, I would tend to be a
lot more strict about breaking the "bug fixes only" rule.)

regards,
Hamish