[GRASS-dev] 6.4.0 blocker bugs

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Aug 18 14:58:25 EDT 2010

as Hamish has noted the choice of the default GUI is decided by whoever does the binary package (?).
So my plea was pretty much for William to make wxGUI default in his Mac binary.
People who run linux or compile GRASS from source are generally used to customizing so that is
not so much an issue. It is really for newcomers who download GRASS binary and start GRASS
and then the first thing they have to deal with is to change GUI.
The biggest issue that the newcomers had with the TclTk GUI (and that was solved in wxGUI) was
- "why the map is not displayed when I load it into gis manager?"
All of this made starting with GRASS on Mac unexpectedly more difficult than on MSWindows.

At this point our semester has already started so I will have to deal with it , and if I understand
the process correctly, 6.4 can be released with TclTk as default but with MSW and Mac binaries packaged
with wxGUI as default. Of course, I would much prefer if the release was with wxGUI as default.

I don't have enough expertise on ctypes but we have troubles with it on our enterprise linux
when compiling, but that is just a local problem,

Helena