[GRASS-dev] 6.4.0 blocker bugs

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 05:49:33 EDT 2010

Hi,

2010/8/24 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
>> from my point of view is unacceptable to change the default
>> GUI (DEFAULT_GUI in init.sh) within 6.4.x. Change it now (i.e.
>> before releasing 6.4.0) or leave it for 6.5 (6.6) or 7.0.
>
> I don't think it harms backwards compatibility too badly to
> adjust GUI things (scripts+code will still work), but y'all
> make a good point that tutorials and screenshot guides will
> suffer in this case. We can get around the "don't make big
> policy changes right before release" rule by shipping one last
> RC; I would hope the the final 6.4.0 could go out after that
> rather quickly (maybe a week?). So RC7 in the next 24 hrs and
> 6.4.0 some time before Helena's plenary session on Sept 8th?
> (as long as no problems are found within that time..)
>
> (comments? objections? better ideas?)
>
> I think we all agree that by 6.4.1 wx should be the default,
> and that big changes are bad within a stable release. Since
> we have had so many RCs wx is now in good shape in the stable
> branch, ready for more eyeballs. so ok with me to be the default,
> so long as that change gets tested.
>
> I would note that besides init.sh there is also line 83 of
> g.gui/main.c to change in relbr64 to alter the default GUI
> (which GUI to start if "GRASS_GUI=text"), and a grep of the
> docs/announcements.
>
> We would have to check that it fail-overs back to tcltk if
> tcl is there but wx is not. (I have a Debian/etch machine sitting
> around I can test that on)
>

> fwiw, changing it manually is not /too/ hard to find:
>  Config -> GRASS working enivronment -> Change default GUI
> ... but you have to know about it before you'd ever think to look.

OK, if I understand well, you are suggesting to change the default GUI
to wxpython, release today/tomorrow RC7 and within one week to release
6.4.0, is it right? If so, I agree.

> As for ctypes backports, AFAICT that is not well tested in 6.5
> yet, so I'm a bit worried to put it into 6.4 yet. Is it just
> copying in lib/python/ctypes/, or are other structural changes
> that need to be coordinated with that? As AFAIK it is "only" a
> new feature, and not really a policy change or bugfix, so I see
> no problem to wait for 6.4.1, 4 weeks or so after the main
> release.

OK, ctypes is quite advance feature and will be used by wxNviz and
wxVdigit (not ready). So it can wait for 6.4.1. It's just not a
standard approach to add new features within x.y.z. On the other hand,
1.5 year for RCs is also not standard ;-)

Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa