[GRASS-dev] GRASS6.4.0 r.in.poly with lat-long broken?

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 03:52:47 EDT 2010

I'm sorry to dissapoint both of You, provided example works just fine
with current 6.4 SVN on 64bit Linux (Gentoo ~AMD64). Could this be
related to input file formating?

Please open an ticket and attach sample input file and exact commands to use.


2010/8/26, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu>
> wrote:
>> Has anybody tried to run r.in.poly with lat/long data in GRASS64 - it
>> appears to be broken.
> r.in.poly in=gg.txt out=gg
> g.region rast=gg
> r.univar gg
> g.region n=36.201 s=35.721 e=-77.707 w=-77.84 -g res=1
> r.in.poly in=gg.txt out=gg --o
> r.univar gg
> -> nan
> I can confirm that the imported polygon is not generated (nor an error).
> Using 6.4.svn on 64bit Linux.
> Markus
>> It creates a raster map with NULLs on my Mac RC6 version and apparently on
>> linux as well -
>> see the message below. My colleagues at the Climate Center had to switch
>> to GRASS63 to get their
>> Mapserver/OpenLayers application run with GRASS. I checked the repository
>> and no changes were
>> made for past 21 months except for input=- option so I am not sure whether
>> this is a bug or
>> we are just doing something wrong.
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4/raster/r.in.poly
>> Below is the test example and the related nc_ll LOCATION, but it would be
>> good to try it on some other data.
>> If this is a bug I would consider it critical because many people are
>> trying to run GRASS with WebGIS
>> and drawing a polygon and then getting a report on what is inside that
>> polygon or running some more complex
>> analysis on it is among the most common tasks that people try to do that I
>> have seen.
>> thanks for looking into this (we really don't want people to go back to
>> 6.3),
>> Helena
>> So for r.in.poly, we needed to use lat/lon coordinates (i.e. didn't use
>> coordinates in meters like you tested out) -- not only because the
>> Mapserver/Open Layers stuff we created was giving the coordinates in
>> lat/lon, but also because our projection was in lat/lon.  That file looked
>> like this:
>> A
>>  -78.254 35.82
>>  -78.005 36.201
>>  -77.707 36.135
>>  -77.84 35.853
>>  -78.196 35.721
>> = 1 coord
>> So when we ran the r.in.poly function, no errors were output -- it
>> appeared as though the layer had been created properly.  But when we tried
>> to actually display the layer with the polygon, we found that no actual
>> polygon with those lat/lon coordinates as vertices was ever created.
>> Another co-worker in my office had GRASS 6.3 on his Linux machine, and
>> when we tried running the r.in.poly function with lat/lon coordinates on
>> his machine, it worked beautifully.  That prompted us to put GRASS 6.3 on
>> the other machines we had been using and take off the 6.4 RC versions --
>> and with 6.3, everything worked as expected.
>> http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea582/common/media/01/nc_ll.zip
>> _______________________________________________
>> grass-dev mailing list
>> grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
> _______________________________________________
> grass-dev mailing list
> grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev

More information about the grass-dev mailing list