[GRASS-dev] Mailman settings - was Re: g.proj -p - units is : meters or metres ?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Feb 10 14:22:11 EST 2010

(adjusting subject)

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Hamish wrote:
>
>> > Changing the default won't affect existing users.

Any pointers how to do global list adjustment of this setting?

>> > Personally, I'd be
>> > inclined to change existing users' settings as well; they
>> > can always
>> > change them back if they actually want it enabled. I
>> > suspect that most
>> > people have it enabled simply because they don't know about
>> > it.

This is likely.

>> I would be annoyed if someone changed this for me without asking.
>> This setting saves me time.
>
> While for other people, it results in them never seeing a reply to
> their question.
>
> If it was turned off, you'd know about it the first time that you got
> a duplicate reply. If it's left on, people won't notice that they're
> losing emails unless they happen to look at the archives or if someone
> replies to the reply.

I think that there is another setting in Mailman which avoid duplicate
receiving of messages (based on message ID matching).

Suggestion:
- we enable it for testing in this list (hey, it is a developers list)
- we see how Mailman and clients behave
- decide if to keep or not.

Markus