[GRASS-dev] Re: GRASS 7 status overview

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Sat Feb 13 12:15:18 EST 2010

Markus,

This WIKI page is very very helpful (http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures). There are a lot of enhancements to talk about.

I did a quick look at all the new modules and offer the following comments:

Should r.statistics simply be replaced with r.statistics2? No explanation of difference, for example, between kurtosis and kurtosis2.
It seems that r.statistics3 should be renamed to something more descriptive as it differs functionally from r.statistics

r.external.out and r.colors.out do not generate the GUI when run from the command line. r.colors.out generates a segmentation fault if run without arguments.

Running v.krige generates the following message:  Loading packages, please wait...
Rpy2 not found. Please install it and re-run.

I thought this was not a *requirement* and that v.krige would run but that some methods simply would not be available. If it is a requirement, shouldn't we make Rpy2 a dependency?

There is a typo in the description for i.emissivity. It should be "sparse" not "spares"

The new image processing look very cool. It looks like some of them should be packaged together under a single menu header (like r.li). Which should be packaged together?

Some of the new modules relate to solar radiance. Should any of them go under the 'solar radiance and shadows' section in raster? (i.sunhours? i.albedo?). If so, should any be renamed from i.* to r.* for consistency? (or should r.sun and r.sunmask be renamed to i.sun and i.sunmask?)

i.vi: should the user be able to choose which kind of vegetation index is created? Or does the module just create them all?

Trying to run ximgview generates the following error: ERROR: Incompatible library version for module. You need to rebuild GRASS
      or untangle multiple installations.

Michael