[GRASS-dev] Some string not translated in wxGUI

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Feb 17 08:48:58 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> some messages (see below/screenshot) are not shown in translation. They are
>> coming from grasslibs_XX.po and are translated in JA and DE but still appear
>> in English. Somehow the translations are not propagated to the wxGUI.
>
> In 6.x, those strings aren't localised in G_usage_xml(). Try r41031
> (for 6.5).

This helps, backported.

Yet another one is there (DE example):

#: ../gui/wxpython/gui_modules/menuform.py:871
#: ../gui/wxpython/gui_modules/preferences.py:1131
msgid "Close dialog on finish"
msgstr "Schließe den Dialog beim Beenden"

But they are indicated correctly:
[neteler at north grass64]$ grep 'Close dialog on f' gui/*/*/*
gui/wxpython/gui_modules/menuform.py:
      label=_('Close dialog on finish'), style = wx.NO_BORDER)
gui/wxpython/gui_modules/preferences.py:
label=_("Close dialog on finish"),

To get things like
   'label=_("Close dialog on finish")'
shown translated in the file preferences.py, I had to add the "import gettext"
stuff (yet unsubmitted).

Looking around I found other .py files lacking the gettext stuff.
What's the right way to do it? Add everywhere or is there a better way?
Or can it be inherited from globalvar.py or another file?

Before cluttering files, I thought to ask.

Markus