[GRASS-dev] 6.4.0 never-ending story

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jan 6 14:36:36 EST 2010

Markus Metz wrote:

> For the final version I would very much like to see a reasonably stable
> Windows version, and it seems realistic to get this out soon.

"Stable Windows version" or "released soon". Choose one.

The Windows version is hampered by a lack of Windows developers. Most
of the Windows development is being done by people who use Linux or
MacOSX as their main platform and occasionaly build and test on
Windows as a favour to Windows users.

It's also hampered by a tendency for developers to try to "paper over"
Windows problems with quick hacks rather than getting to the root of
the problem and developing robust solutions.

Ultimately, a *stable* Windows version probably means a stable version
of 7.0. In 6.x, the Windows version will inevitably be a "best effort"
solution.