[GRASS-dev] build errors in trunk with make -j 4

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 10:00:06 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 00:45 +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
>
> > in trunk I get errors detected building wxpython and v.kridge, but if I
> > cd into their dirs and re-run make they build ok.
> >
> > are the pre-deps in their Makefiles healthy?
>
> v.krige is a known problem, and isn't specific to parallel builds. It
> imports modules from wxGUI (even if you just use --help etc), but the
> "scripts" directory is built before the "gui" directory, so those
> modules aren't present in $PYTHONPATH when v.krige is initially
> "built". If you try again when the rest of GRASS has been built, it
> will work.
>
> Also, v.krige will use the system Python when it may need to use
> $GRASS_PYTHON (as it uses wxPython). It should probably be split into
> a front-end script which invokes the "real" script via $GRASS_PYTHON
> when (and if) grass.parser() returns; then, --html-description would
> work without requiring wxPython or any wxGUI modules.

Hi Glynn, Hamish, all,

the split is done in r40303, and there are no more errors during make.
It's far than perfect, so testing and comments are welcome :)
ATM, the "Plot variogram" in GUI is not functional as it is matter of
global variables. I'm looking at this now.

I don't understand what is the problem with #!/usr/bin/env python. How
can the scripts use GRASS_PYTHON instead? How is the link between this
and import wx?
Thanks in advance for any hint and sorry if I'm missing something
important.

best,
Anne