FW: [GRASS-dev] Connection failure from v.krige to R (Win XP)

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:33:38 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 22:06 +0100, Jan Tošovský wrote:
> > after invoking the Kriging module a system message appears:
> > 'Are you sure you want to add the information in RHOME
> > to the registry?'. When Yes button is pressed, another
> > message appears: 'Cannot import RHOME. Error opening the file.
> > There may be a disk or file system error.'
>
> I can't get rid of this (probably some .reg file is being executed), but
> this is not the reason of...

Hi Jan,

thanks for report. Unfortunately I have little time to look at this in
the next days, but will keep it in the todo list.

> > When entering the Kriging dialog when a vector map was
> > selected before this action via menu, I am getting
> > the following error and execution is stopped (no dialog appears)
>
> > v.krige input=isolines at honza
>
> > ERROR: Required parameter <column> was not set:
>
> It seems to be a default behaviour when a vector map is selected. This
> message is related to the previous one (if Kriging is performed on a vector
> layer with no proper column data). But in such case maybe any Warning dialog
> would be better than a message in the command line output...

Raising an error is consistent when the line you pasted above is typed
in the shell. I don't know if setting this parameter is an expected
behaviour, in any case raise a warning is surely not enough, as the
procedure will miss mandatory arguments.
I'll try to reproduce this asap.

> I tried a better data set and although I got the correct variogram plot,
> later I encountered ImageMagick! Exception:
> import.exe: unable to open X server `' @ import.c/ImportImageCommand/367 [No
> such file or directory].
>
> Is it necessary to setup something else?

No, ImageMagick is not an explicit dependency of v.krige. I'll dig into
this.

> BTW, there is enclosed a screenshot in this e-mail with the current
> appearance of the Krige command output tab. That horizontal thin white line
> is a textbox with output messages... It could be improved a bit.

Hm looks like the GRASS trunk's wxGUI behaviour some revisions ago. It's
fixed for sure in head.

Hope this helps for now, and thanks again for report.

all the best,
Anne