[GRASS-dev] winGRASS: enabling non-english languages?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jan 13 02:28:41 EST 2010

Markus Neteler wrote:

> we have tried the latest winGRASS from today which has nls enabled
> according to Helmut. The .mo files are present in the install directory.
>
> The computer (XP) is runnig in Japanese locale but still the English
> screen comes up. If I do the same on Linux, I get the Japanese
> startup screen.
>
> How to debug this problem? It would be essential IMHO to get nls
> working (and I feel that there is a rather trivial obstacle in the way).

Are LANG or LC_MESSAGES set?

If I set LANG=ja, precisely one of the menu entries gets
translated: Help (ヘルプ).

FWIW, I've verified that this is actually getting translated by the
_() in menudata.py (I thought that the "help" menu might be a special
case hard-wired into wxWidgets).

If I use e.g. LANG=fr or LANG=de, I see far more translated entries.
Okay, those files are larger, but grasswxpy_ja.po still has 471
translations. However: grasswxpy_ja.po has 445 occurrences of "fuzzy",
and ja/LC_MESSAGES/grasswxpy.mo is tiny (4608 bytes, versus 40617
bytes for fr).

Are "fuzzy" translations ignored when generating the .mo file?