[GRASS-dev] winGRASS: enabling non-english languages?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jan 13 14:25:54 EST 2010

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Here it fails because GRASS is installed in "Program Files".
> g.gui wxpython
> bails out with a related error.

What's the error?

We might need to change G_spawn() to quote arguments. The MSDN
documentation for the _spawn* functions suggests that it simply
concatenates the arguments with spaces in between, and that the caller
must perform quoting.

	http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/20y988d2%28VS.80%29.aspx

I've dealt with the issue in 7.0 by using G_spawn_ex() instead, and
implementing that using CreateProcess() (so redirection works on
Windows). Eventually, G_spawn_ex() will be renamed to G_spawn().

Even if we continue to use _spawn*, the quoting code can be taken from
7.0; see escaped() in lib/gis/spawn.c. The code is actually quite
tricky, due to the bizarre quoting rules:

	http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/17w5ykft.aspx

> Of course I had to set GRASS_PYTHON=python manually before but
> due to the space problem it doesn't come up.
> At least we seem to be close.

If the problem is with GISBASE, you could try manually changing it to
use "progra~1" in place of "Program Files" (more generally, "dir /x"
lists the short names if you need them for other cases).

> > Are "fuzzy" translations ignored when generating the .mo file?
>
> Yes.

Ah; that would explain why there are hardly any Japanese
translations; nearly all of them are "fuzzy".