[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-translations] UTF-8 or ISO?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Jan 13 21:40:27 EST 2010

(back to old posting)

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:
> Martin Landa wrote:
>> Robert Szczepanek wrote:
>> >  I am newbie in translations and my question probably is simple one.
>> >  Which *.po files coding standard is recommended now?
>> >  UTF or ISO?
>> >  I continue polish translation (i.e. UTF-8 and ISO-8859-2).
>>
>> I guess ISO(?)
>
> I think so. If your system supports UTF-8, it will support converting
> ISO-8859-2 to UTF-8. OTOH, if your system has negligible I18N support,
> you'll have problems if the files are in UTF-8.
>
> Also, using ISO-8859-* encodings helps to discourage people from
> gratuitous use of features such as "enhanced" punctuation.

Now, in 2010, is this still valid? It seems that UTF-8 reached most systems.
Also the poEdit software converts to UTF-8 while saving which
I have to convert back with iconv to ISO-8859-15 (I tried DE).

I assume that there will be language families for the various encodings.
Recommendations welcome.

?
Markus