[GRASS-dev] build errors in trunk with make -j 4

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jan 13 23:10:24 EST 2010

Markus Neteler wrote:

> In fact, the problem is even a new one:

>     class Controller():
>                      ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

> [neteler at xblade14 v.krige]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/python
> python-2.4.3-8.FC4
>
> Python too old? It will be hard to update on that server.

That syntax (new style class with no base classes) was introduced in
Python 2.5. I doubt that it's actually necessary; it could probably be
changed to either an old-style class:

     class Controller:

or a new-style class derived from "object":

     class Controller(object):

I think that we should still try to support 2.4, although the only way
that accidental use of 2.5/2.6 features will be found is through
running the code for real. Using new syntax features will cause
--html-description to fail (as happened here), but using new
functions, modules, classes, methods, etc won't.