[GRASS-dev] winGRASS compilation: perl not found (needed for MAN)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 14:51:58 EST 2010

Hamish:
>>> At this point, my vote, AFA 6.4.0 goes, is to follow the
>>> path of least change. Which is to keep the existing perl
>>> script.
Martin:
>> OK, anyway I would vote to replace Perl script in 6.5.
Markus:
> Agreed - we may then backport to 6.4.1 if possible and stable.

actually now that I think about it, this is much more of a
shift in policy and I'm not sure if we should think about it
for 6.5 either.

Remember that currently python is not a mandatory build dep for
GRASS 6.x.

Also AFAIK python does not come preinstalled on e.g. debian as
a base package, but perl does.

So we are making python a mandatory build dep for ... getting
man(1) pages working on MS Windows ?? seems very dis-
proportionate to me.

Hamish