[GRASS-dev] wingrass msys term prompt cosmetics

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 25 04:58:50 EST 2010

Hi,

right now if you start wingrass with an MSys terminal you get a 80x24
terminal window with the following prompt:

GRASS 6.4.0svn (spearfish60):C:/GRASS-64-svn-msys/home/Hamish > _

that's ~ 62 chars on a 80 char wide window! And with us moving the
default install path to C:\Program Files\GRASS-64\ (or whatever) the
prompt will likely wrap around to the next line. it's too long.

any objections to simplifying the WinGrass MSys terminal prompt to just:

PS1='GRASS> '

?

I doubt many WinGrass users will be running concurrent GRASS versions;
due to the dual-monitor (at best) support for virtual desktops in Windows*
it will be mostly unsane for users to have more than two GRASS sessions
open at the same time, and even then the GUI window title bar has the
names; and finally the path names are simply too long to include at all.
(I will concede that \W and locn,mapset name can both be short, but it all
adds up)

Plus "GRASS> " is a thousand times cleaner and less intimidating.

[*] I fib: "Virtual Desktop Manager"
  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

(MASK prompt hinting does not happen on WinGrass)

?,
Hamish