[GRASS-dev] question about python scripts on Windows again

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Jan 27 09:50:44 EST 2010

On Jan 27, 2010, at 2:28 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> Some time back, I asked how users could create a python script that runs
>> under GRASS for windows. At the time, the answer was more or less: 'with
>> great difficulty, if even possible'. There have been quite a few changes
>> in the Windows builds over the past month or so and I am wondering if
>> the answer is more optimistic now.
>
> The problem is that g.parser re-executes the script via $GRASS_SH,
> which won't work for anything other than shell scripts. That hasn't
> changed.

Thanks for the update.

This is unfortunate and oddly ironic, since one of the rationales for the move to Python is that shell scripts must be run on Windows under a *nix emulator like msys, while Python can run native.

Given what you say, why do Python scripts run on other platforms?

> One solution is to merge the support for the -s switch from 7.0.

What does the -s switch do?

Michael

> --

C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu