[GRASS-dev] Errors when trying to start wxpython GUI

Tobias Conradt conradt at pik-potsdam.de
Mon Jul 12 10:36:34 EDT 2010

Dear GRASS people,

I've successfully compiled and installed GRASS 6.4.0 svn
(status of 7th July 2010). While the tcltk GUI runs fine,
any attempt to start the wxpython GUI produces one of the
following error messages:

either:

  ERROR: wxGUI requires wxPython. No module named wxversion

or (after having specified the path to wxversion.py via
  export PYTHONPATH=...):

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/conradt/usr/local/grass-6.4.0svn/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 23, in <module>
      import os
  ImportError: No module named os

Interestingly, the same messages appear when setting PYTHONPATH
to anything else (even non-existing paths).

I already re-built wxpython, which compiles without complaint.
Maybe the problem has something to do with having all my self-
compiled stuff under /home/conradt/usr/local/ while Python (2.6)
resides in /usr/bin/, to which only root may install. But all
my attempts of explicit PATH statements failed (so far).

Does anybody have a better idea what to do?

The machine has an SLES-11 x86_64 GNU/Linux running on Intel Xeon.

Best regards,
conradt