[GRASS-dev] grass7 on mac OSX

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Jun 6 13:04:29 EDT 2010

On Jun 6, 2010, at 11:39 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> wxnviz still does not run on Mac - this is what I get:
>
> To compile I have to run make in gui/wxpython
> (errors in nviz, xganim and wximgview I ignore)
>
> I start in text mode and then run
> g.gui wx &
>
> which opens the GUI (works fine for 2D display)
> but upon opening the gui I get the warnings listed below.

For once I'm the one that can't run something while others can ;(

> WARNING: Nviz extension (3D view mode) disabled. Reason: dlopen(/Users/helena/grassdev7/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgrass_datetime.dylib, 10): no suitable image found.  Did find:
>        /Users/helena/grassdev7/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgrass_datetime.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
>        /Users/helena/grassdev7/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgrass_datetime.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture

Looks like a 32/64bit issue.  Probably started with the switch to ctypes for nviz.  When I can get the GUI to run, I should be able to figure this out.

What does this return in a Terminal:

file /Users/helena/grassdev7/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgrass_datetime.dylib

With the GUI running, open Activity Monitor.app (Utilities folder) and find the process "Python" - what is its "Kind" (you may need to show the Kind column with View->Columns->Kind)?

And, what architectures did you configure GRASS for? (--with-macosx-archs=)  Because wxpython is only available 32bits, even if you only want a 64bit GRASS, you also need to compile it 32bits, ie:

--with-macosx-archs="i386 x86_64"

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy