[GRASS-dev] Re: [SAC] Meeting Minutes

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 02:09:25 EDT 2010

Frank wrote:
>  * We prioritized establishing a large "Projects" VM and
> the services for GRASS, Mapbender, and metadata.osgeo.org
> will be located their until there is a fairly compelling
> need for project specific VMs.

watching xblade14 for the last couple of weeks it seems that a
number of buildbots are responsible for a good portion of the
load. The run niced, but still.. So I've been thinking it might
be good to have a build.osgeo.org VM set up as a build server;
it could run at 100% without slowing down the static html front
ends of the other sites hosted on osgeo4.   comments?

> Some questions outstanding around the idea of doing all
> logins over https to avoid making OSGeo passwords easily
> sniffed.

a big +1 for adding https to the mediawiki login page(s), and
whatever ldap magic is needed to reuse the osgeo ids there.
..if we can avoid having a bad day..

regards,
Hamish

ps- continue this over at grass-dev, but re CMS for Grass I saw
www.lyx.org the other day and thought it looked good for our
'portal' front page needs. Aesthics are not too austere flat
text like trac wiki, not too blog or wiki like either. Actually
it uses PmWiki but the visitors don't know that, the login
button is very subtle. and they kept notes!
  http://www.lyx.org/SiteDocumentation
  http://www.pmwiki.org
convert html -> pmwiki
 libhtml-wikiconverter-pmwiki-perl

No idea how it's stored on disk (eg if you can ues unix command
line power tools to bulk maintain pages) but it seems to me that
the home-portal doesn't really need to run more than about a
dozen pages of content- it's just a front end reception service.
No idea about RSS support, but we can't be the first folks to
think about it. Again, https logins and reuse of osgeo ids+
access groups would be a bonus.