[GRASS-dev] future thematic cartography in GRASS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Mar 4 12:10:14 EST 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 1:27 AM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 23:26:59 -0800 (PST)
> From: Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] future thematic cartography in GRASS [was:
>        Re: [GRASS      GIS] #974: [Patch] add option to d.vect to make symbol size
>        proportionate to square root of size_column]
> To: grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org, Moritz Lennert
>        <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
>
> Moritz wrote:
>> What is still missing right now is an easy way to display a
>> combination of color-classified and proportionately sized
>> symbols.
>
> by the way, WRT floating point raster maps there is a control in ps.map's
> colortable instruction to show range bands instead of a smooth legend:
>
> """
>       Adding the
>       discrete  Y  instruction  will  command  the program to
>       treat the map as a categorical map.  In  this  way  the
>       legend can be created with discrete range bands instead
>       of a continuous gradient. You must use  the  r.category
>       or r.support module to set up the range labels first.
> """
>

> Hamish

Something to consider at this point. GRASS now has a lot of tools built into d.vect that allow for thematic mapping. This raises the question of whether we want to 1) enhance the thematic capabilities of d.vect or 2) continue down the road of a separate thematic module. I can see advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

Michael