[GRASS-dev] Exploit.DEM in conftest.exe

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Mar 16 15:07:02 EDT 2010

Jan Tosovsky wrote:

> after some time I've updated my local 'grss6_devel' branch and during
> building (in the initial configuration step) I am getting warning from my
> antivirus app (AVG 9) that in OSGeo4W\usr\src\grass6_devel\conftest.exe
> there is potentially harmfull program Exploit.DEM.
>
> I've tried to find the file in this path on my disk but without any success
> (it is not present also in a 'safe-deposit'). Can I ignore this message?

"conftest.exe" is the default name of any test programs created by the
configure script (on Windows; on other platforms, it's just called
"conftest").

Most of the test programs aren't even executed; configure simply
attempts to compile and link a test program in order to check that the
compilation and linking switches are correct. The programs are deleted
once the test is complete.

If the program isn't being run (only a handful are), the test will
succeed so long as the linker doesn't return an error status. I
suspect that AVG probably won't scan the file until it's complete, so
the test should succeed even if AVG deletes or quarantines the file.