[GRASS-dev] Exploit.DEM in conftest.exe

Jan Tosovsky j.tosovsky at tiscali.cz
Wed Mar 17 13:35:15 EDT 2010

Hi Glynn,

> > after some time I've updated my local 'grss6_devel' branch and during
> > building (in the initial configuration step) I am getting warning
> from my
> > antivirus app (AVG 9) that in
> OSGeo4W\usr\src\grass6_devel\conftest.exe
> > there is potentially harmfull program Exploit.DEM.
> >
> > I've tried to find the file in this path on my disk but without any
> success
> > (it is not present also in a 'safe-deposit'). Can I ignore this
> message?
>
> "conftest.exe" is the default name of any test programs created by the
> configure script (on Windows; on other platforms, it's just called
> "conftest").
>
> Most of the test programs aren't even executed; configure simply
> attempts to compile and link a test program in order to check that the
> compilation and linking switches are correct. The programs are deleted
> once the test is complete.
>
> If the program isn't being run (only a handful are), the test will
> succeed so long as the linker doesn't return an error status. I
> suspect that AVG probably won't scan the file until it's complete, so
> the test should succeed even if AVG deletes or quarantines the file.

Ok, I'll ignore it. It is listed 3 times in a total. I've just found there
is additional info for each item - there is written this file was detected
2x for process sh.exe and once for rm.exe.

My build has failed later on so I thought it is consequence of this issue.
I'll describe my problem in a separate thread.

Thanks,
Jan

PS: Please don't generate exploits during configuration anymore ;-)

PS2: This message was mistakenly sent directly to Glynn. Sorry.