[GRASS-dev] color tables (legal aspects)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 01:49:06 EDT 2010

Jarosław wrote:
> I created for my personal use some color tables almost
> identical to that of ESRI
>
> I wonder about legal aspect of publish it as add-on. It is
> possible that these color schemes are not restricted, but
> there are lots of doubt.
> what you think about?

If it is a derivative of a creative work under copyright, then you are
bound by the terms of that copyright.

... which raises the question of is a color table a creative work?

For something simply like "byr" I find it hard to imagine that it is.
For something more complex like "rainbow" or "wave" it could start to be.
For something which is derived from a simple linear path through color-
space it would be hard to argue that the math is either a creative work
or original. (as long as you just followed the mathematical eqn.)

I would look at it likes notes of music. Three notes strung together
can hardly be called an original creative work. Once you have added
enough complexity to pull out a discernible melody though, it becomes a
different situation.

hope it helps,
Hamish