[GRASS-dev] Improvement to TreeCtrlComboPopup

Julio Castillo juliocc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 13:39:22 EDT 2010

Hi,

I've been using grass for a while and now I would like to help on
grass develepment. Recently I sent a patch to fix a minor bug on
r.mfilter.fp that was giving me some trouble. Now, I found some stuff
on the wxpython GUI that, IMHO, can be improved.

I noticed that the tree control for selecting layers can be improved
with the following changes:

1. Highlight the selected layers in the popup. For example, if I
select layer X and then want to select something else, X should appear
selected when opening the popup again. Also, if there is a selection,
the first selected item should be visible after the popup
appears. There seems to be some work on this direction on gselect.py
but it doesn't work (at least on my computer).

2. Allow multiple selections without closing the popup. Currently, if
you want to select multiple layers, you have to open layer control once
for every layer. I think that it would be useful if you can select
multiple layers holding down Shift, for example.

3. Some sort of filtering once you open the popup. This can help you
find and specific layer quicker.

Points 1 and 2 are not so difficult, in fact, I already have something
very basic that does this. Point 3 seems a little more difficult but
if there is some demand for it, I guess it can be made.

I would like to know your opinion and if you think that these
improvements are worth the effort.

Best regards,
Julio