[GRASS-dev] Non ASCII in GISBASE, LOCATION, MAPSET, MAP

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Mar 25 13:11:25 EDT 2010

On 25/03/10 16:57, Glynn Clements wrote:
> As you know, vector map names are further restricted to valid SQL
> identifiers. Personally, I'd like to see that restriction removed.
> There's no fundamental reason why a map's attribute table must have
> *exactly* the same name as the map; an approximation (e.g. with
> invalid characters replaced by underscores) would suffice, IMHO.

Even today, there is not obligation for the attribute table to have the
same name as the map as you can link the map to any table you want.
Radim, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the fact that
currently this restriction is imposed for new map creation was just
coded as a convenience to not have to check and, if necessary, transform
the name of the table, but I imagine that it would not be too
complicated to replace all offending characters with an underscore or
something similar.

Moritz