[GRASS-dev] Re: g.extension in GRASS 6.5 (Markus Neteler)

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu May 6 13:11:29 EDT 2010

> Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 17:50:33 +0200
> From: Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] g.extension in GRASS 6.5
> To: Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>
> Cc: Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>,	GRASS developers list
> 	<grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Martin wrote:
>>> currently we have Python version of g.extension script in GRASS 7 and
>>> Bash version in GRASS 6.5. It's pain to maintain the both version. I
>>> would suggest to replace Bash version with Python in GRASS 6.5. It's
>>> new module, so no backwards compatibility will be broken. Only one
>>> drawback is that g.extension will requires Python to be available.
>>
>> AFAIU the shell script version of g.extension is slated to be backported
>> to the release branch for 6.4.1. it's there, it works (AFAIK),
>
> I don't think so - there are lots of problems reported in the list.
> Are you sure? I would rather make it a python script since the shell
> version is a pain.
>
> Markus

Unless something has changed in the past couple weeks, Python scripts do not run in Windows (although Python does run from within the wxGUI environment). That is, g.extension won't run from the MSys or Windows command window. I'm not sure if it will run even from the wxGUI menu. IMHO, it is very important that we solve this issue.

Michael