[GRASS-dev] grass7 on mac OSX

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Thu May 27 00:07:42 EDT 2010

On May 26, 2010, at 7:38 PM, Massimo Di Stefano wrote:

> Il giorno 24/mag/2010, alle ore 17.28, Michael Barton ha scritto:
>

>> On May 24, 2010, at 6:35 AM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 00:49:51 +0200
>>> From: Massimo Di Stefano <massimodisasha at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: [GRASS-dev] grass7 on mac OSX
>>> To: grass-dev list <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> i upgrade grass7 from svn on mac osx 10.6.3 ,
>>> the build ends with an error in wxpython, rerunning make inside the wxpython director fix the problem.
>>
>> I've reported this too. There is something wrong in the build/make files somewhere.
>>

>>> but tring to load grass from python i had thi error :
>>>

>>> In [1]: from grass.lib import grass
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>> File "<ipython console>", line 1, in <module>
>>> File "/Users/Shared/source/grass_trunk/dist.i386-apple-darwin10.3.0/etc/python/grass/lib/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
>>>  # $Id$
>>> File "/Users/Shared/source/grass_trunk/dist.i386-apple-darwin10.3.0/etc/python/grass/lib/math.py", line 7, in <module>
>>> ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/python/grass/lib/_math.so, 2): Symbol not found: _G_math_backward_solving
>>> Referenced from: /Applications/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/python/grass/lib/_math.so
>>> Expected in: /Applications/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgrass_gmath.dylib
>>> in /Applications/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/python/grass/lib/_math.so
>>>

>>> have you any clue on what i'm missing ?
>>> thanks!
>>>
>>> Massimo.
>>
>> I think this is a bogus error. The identical thing happened to a student here except that it claimed to be missing the subprocess module. The module is not missing and GRASS 6.5 works fine. GRASS 7 runs fine on my Mac, but this kind of error is cropping up somewhat randomly apparently.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Hi Michael, so it works for you, good :-)
> have you any clue on what kind of changes have you did to get it running ?
>
> i'm using :
>
> Python2.6.1 ( standard python from system,  osx snow leopard )
>
> Ctypesgen from svn :
> Repository Root: http://ctypesgen.googlecode.com/svn
> Revision: 107
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Massimo

I did nothing special to make it work. I'm also using the standard system python 2.6.1. I did a build and it worked fine. I posted my binaries for students and colleagues. A student downloaded it and it won't run. She has a very similar machine.

Sorry I'm no help. I think it is something else wrong and that this error is probably not what is really wrong.

Michael