[GRASS-dev] Re: on the fly grass location

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Nov 14 12:24:12 EST 2010

Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> As it has been discussed earlier, having location generated (and
>> destroyed)
>> on the fly would help a lot the casual qgis grass user to approach grass.
>> The idea is to run an analysis by loading (r.external, v.external,
>> v.in.ogr)
>> data, generating a location from it, run, save the results as tif or shp,
>> and destroy the location at the end, all without users noticing it (but
>> explaining for future reuse).
>> The good news is that here at the hackfest we got a voulnteer willing to
>> help with the coding (preferably in Python). Welcome Peter Loewe!
>
> Great, Peter!
>
>> Anybody willing to help him with the first steps?
>
> Sure - note that all ingredients are already there including the
> "demolocation" which
> comes with any GRASS binary package.

The GRASS R package was for GRASS5, and does not work with GRASS 6. A better
mechanism is provided in the spgrass package as initGRASS(). The code of the
R function sets the environment variables, etc., for a location generated on
the fly (with an .GRASSRC file) in the running R temporary directory. When R
exits, the location goes away.

Roger

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Maybe that's easier discussed over chat?
>
> Markus

-----
Roger Bivand
Economic Geography Section
Department of Economics
Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway