[GRASS-dev] CLI!=GUI

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Sun Nov 21 15:36:08 EST 2010

6.4 was delayed to make it work on Windows. This included making a useable CLI for Windows. I don't use Windows but many many people do. Making GRASS work on Windows has been very very difficult, especially because of the recursive problem that there are few GRASS developers with Windows expertise because GRASS didn't run on Windows. Going through the pain of making this work greatly expanded the potential user base and potential developer base.The reason that GRASS can run on Windows is in a large part due to a complete restructuring of the user interface away from requiring X-Windows. That is, there was no way to use GRASS or visualize the results in a Windows environment until the co-development of the new GUI (beginning with TclTk in 6.3) and display drivers.

There is nothing inherently wrong with releasing different parts of GRASS at different times.But trying to manage a single release cycle for GRASS has been pretty complicated and my hat is off to Markus. Trying to manage multiple release cycles would be more complicated. Some of the 6.4 blockers were with the GUI, but others were with the underlying modules (all of which run in CLI or GUI). For better of for worse, GRASS has a very conservative release cycle. This is because of the developer culture, not because of the GUI.

Like Martin said, because GRASS is modular, anyone can compile it or use it with or without the GUI. I use it heavily with the GUI for some things. For others, I use it completely scripted, without any GUI, and called from a completely different environment. This kind of flexibility is a real value for this piece of software.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)