[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] r.univar.zonal not installing

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 7 15:12:59 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
>> Hamish wrote:
>>> for 6.5svn I would vote to add .zonal as another module if
>>> you like, but do not replace r.univar.
>>
>> well, actually the diff is not so huge to make code auditing that
>> much of a problem, but it would need to be well tested.
>>
> You helped yourself with development and testing of r.univar.zonal,
> and I assume that a number of users managed to get it up and running
> by installing it without g.extension. Otto Dassau developed
> v.rast.stats2 using r.univar.zonal, and v.rast.stats2 is more than n
> categories times faster than the current v.rast.stats, e.g. for 1000
> categories that could be 10 minutes vs. 7 days.

For a "normal" user that even means working version versus killed job.
Please propagate the new code in from Addons rather than forcing
too many users to spend time on installing Addons while our Addon
installer is yet suboptimal.

> IOW, it looks like
> r.univar.zonal has been used and tested quite a bit in the last nearly
> 2 (!) years. About k.i.s.s., it's true that r.univar.zonal is a bit
> more complex than r.univar, but I guess over 90% of the code are
> identical, the crucial stuff is just indented one more level for the
> zoning loop. IMHO k.i.s.s. also means that code duplication should be
> avoided.

Yes, please let us avoid cloning code. Some years ago we spent months
on this, so let's not introduce it again.

Markus