[GRASS-dev] GUI 64-bit issues

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at OpenOSX.com
Thu Sep 23 17:55:19 EDT 2010

Greetings,

I just built GRASS 6.4.0 and nearly all the dependencies (except tcltk and wXPython) for 64-bit here on Mac OS X 10.6 and am having a couple of issues.

1. I cannot build with tcltk enabled because it does not have a 64-bit version available:

configure:11830: checking for Tcl_Init in -ltcl8.5
configure:11847: gcc -o conftest  -fno-common      -L/Library/OpenOSX/grass/lib -L/Library/OpenOSX/grass/lib    -L/Library/OpenOSX/grass/lib    conftest.c -ltcl8.5    1>&5
ld: warning: in /Library/OpenOSX/grass/lib/libtcl8.5.dylib, file was built for i386 which is not the architecture being linked (x86_64)
Undefined symbols:
  "_Tcl_Init", referenced from:
      _main in cckAtJVI.o
ld: symbol(s) not found

Is it possible to compile the tcltk gui in 32-bit, but the rest of GRASS in 64-bit? I tried enabling 32-bit using the with-macosx-archs configure flag, however, most of my dependencies were built for 64-bit only, so I get errors that a 32-bit version is not available.

Note that I do not want a fat binary - I would like to keep my 32-bit and 64-bit builds separate.

2. I am getting a 32-bit error trying to launch wxPython GUI:

ERROR: wxGUI requires wxPython. /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Extras/lib/python/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_core_.so: no appropriate 64-bit architecture (see "man python" for running in 32-bit mode)

Is it possible to run a 64-bit version of GRASS using 32-bit version of wxPython?

Or does GRASS compiled for 64-bit not support any GUIs?

Thanks,

Jeshua Lacock, Owner
<http://OpenOSX.com>
phone: 208.462.4171