[GRASS-dev] tcltk interface

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Sep 30 11:39:39 EDT 2010

Ben,

You're right in that I assumed that Rashad meant an x11 window for display.

However, no GRASS version, linux or otherwise, uses an x11 window for display in TclTk (at least not a plain vanilla x11 window like GRASS used to use). We use a TclTk canvas. This has its own graphic drivers. It may (or may not) operate somehow though calls x11 on Linux but it does not do so on the Mac.

In GRASS 6.4, TclTk and the TclTk canvas display is still available, but all displays now default to a wxPython canvas rather than an x11 display. Again, while this may make calls to x11 on Linux (I don't know what goes on far below the hood there), it does not use x11 display drivers in any way on the Mac (nor of course on Windows).

Any scripts that make explicit use of x11 limit their use in a cross-platform environment. With the new display drivers, begun in GRASS 6.4 and fully implemented in GRASS 7, there is no need to use x11 for display of GRASS output.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: 	http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
		http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton