[GRASS-dev] vector display: attributes for areas

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 04:17:51 EDT 2011

Markus Metz wrote:
> is there a particular reason why vector area attributes can
> only be displayed if centroids are also displayed? Often I have
> to set symbol size to zero to get a reasonably clean display,
> centroids would only clutter the display and most of the time I
> am not interested in the exact location of centroids when
> displaying areas.
>
> Any objections if I add this functionality to d.vect:
> display area attributes also if centroids are not displayed?

do you mean the centroid "+" (or other symbol) must be displayed
to also get the display=attribute for an area? if so that sounds
line a recent regression.

if you leave it as display=shape,attribute of course you will
get the shape (ie symbol) as well.

as you must well know, but for the sake of the discussion, areas
are virtual features fundamentally tied to centroids.

"best placed labels" was the motivation for v.label.sa (one day
to be merged into v.label as a flag)

??,
Hamish