[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS Map Display

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Aug 11 14:05:39 EDT 2011

First, keep in mind that GRASS is a GIS, not a graphics program. So you can't just "display" any graphics file. That is not the purpose of GRASS software.

You can visualize a graphics file in the GRASS GIS environment by importing it into an XY location--i.e., where pixel coordinates are not tied to an earth coordinate system.

If you want to orient a map that comes in a graphic file format (e.g., a scanned map) so that it can be used in a GIS, you will need to georeference it so that each pixel is mapped to a corresponding earth coordinate system. You can use the georeferencing wizard in GRASS to do this.

If you want to display a photo of a place on top of a map, GRASS does not do that. You can save a map to a graphics file and then create your photo/map collage in a program like GIMP or Inkscape.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)