[GRASS-dev] OS X Lion: wxpython 2.9

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Aug 13 15:25:26 EDT 2011

This is now a real problem - wxpython 2.8.x series will not compile on OS X Lion.  Lion appears to have the remaining pure-Carbon bits removed (that wxpython 2.8 needs).  I think it's really only a problem for OpenGL - that's where I get compile errors in wxPython, the GUI seems to run with a wxPython compiled on earlier system versions (and I don't run into OpenGL because wxnviz is not enabled for GRASS 6.4).

The 2.9 dev series has a cocoa option now, but 2.9 is in development.  Nice bonus: it's now finally 64bit.  But there are some issues yet to work out.  A couple APIs were deprecated in OSX 10.6 and removed in 10.7, and so far no definite solution is in the wxPython code.

The only options then are (to be able to use wx 2.9 cocoa where OpenGL is usable)

- to compile for the 10.6 SDK, thus the system Python 2.6

- to compile for the 10.6 SDK with python.org (or other) Python 2.7 (if python 2.7 is wanted)

There is a downloadable wxpython 2.9 cocoa from wxpython.org, that is built for 64bit python 2.7 on OSX 10.5+, but the GUI crashes on startup with this.  I can't tell if it's a GRASS problem, I can copy the crash report to list if anyone's interested (it's a long stack trace), or start a bug report, but I don't have time to poke around with it much.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect