[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS Map Display

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 13 23:52:27 EDT 2011

Michael wrote:
> Unless there is some kind of geocoded version of PNG's (I don't
> know of any), the PNG would not be georeferenced and hence not
> useable in any way for the GIS without some kind of
> transformation.

for the record, you can create a "worldfile" for a PNG the same
as for a plain TIFF image, and GDAL will pick it up. It needs to
be named the same as the image but with a .pgw extension.
  http://gdal.org/frmt_various.html#PNG

I'm not sure if anything other than GDAL-based things would
respect that though, or if this trick helps for Sudeep's
question or not.

(GDAL's virtual-raster format is another wonderful cpu-saving
device worth mentioning btw)
  http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html

Hamish