[GRASS-dev] where to store GRASS settings: GISRC and wx settings

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Aug 30 12:54:05 EDT 2011

On Aug 30, 2011, at 7:48 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:48:53 +0100
> From: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] where to store GRASS settings: GISRC and wx
>        settings
> To: GRASS developers list <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>

> Hamish wrote:
>
>> ** PUT NEW DEVELOPMENT IN TRUNK AND LEAVE 6.x WELL ENOUGH ALONE
>
> +1
>
> Can we please make an effort to "finish" the 6.x branch. I'd really
> like to see 7.0.0 released before the heat death of the universe.
>
> --

+1

We should release GRASS 6.4.2 and end the version 6 series. Then we can focus on what is needed to move to an RC for GRASS 7. I don't think that there is anything in GRASS 6.5 that is not either in GRASS 6.4 OR in GRASS 7, but it is a hybrid of the two versions and this is something we should avoid because of the increasing difficulty of keeping it in sync with either 6.4 or 7.

To release 6.4.2 this, we may need to roll back some in-development features like the graphical modeler and interactive cartography module that have crept into GRASS 6.4 from GRASS 7. These are really great new tools and I strongly support their addition to GRASS, but they are still in development and should not have been added to the 6.x line.

GRASS 7 is a really good piece of software. But if we do not finish 6, it will never see the light of day.

Michael