[GRASS-dev] tickets to solve for GRASS 6.4.2 release

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Aug 31 12:50:15 EDT 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 8:05 PM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:59:04 +0200
> From: Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] tickets to solve for GRASS 6.4.2 release
> To: GRASS developers list <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Markus Metz
>> <markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> the list of blocker and critical tickets for 6.4.2 is reassuringly short:
>>
>> Here some more issues (GRASS 6.4 bugs and wishes from Geostat2011):
>>
> Some of the new wxGUI features are experimental. If we decide on
> feature freeze, these features must be removed. If we decide on
> keeping and fixing them, this will delay the 6.4.2 release because the
> time needed to fix them is a function of the number of devs looking at
> these features x the time these devs have x the complexity of these
> features.
>
> New features in the wxGUI are often applied to all branches at once
> and haven't enjoyed a lot of testing. IMHO this is a question of
> keeping this door to 6.4.2 open or close it.
>>
>> *. hard-coded file extensions in wxGUI raster import, breaks with
>> non-standard suffix + raster importer: .asc is not supported for
>> ArcINFO ASCII files when using directory bulk import
>> --> we would need a list of allowed extensions per format (see
>> gui/wxpython/gui_modules/gselect.py)
>>
> The new raster importer is fairly new and experimental and somehow
> sneaked into 6.4.2
>
>> * raster importer: when changing format, the selected directory is
>> cleared but should remain
>> --> open
> The new raster importer is fairly new and experimental and somehow
> sneaked into 6.4.2
> The standard r.in.gdal GUI works fine.
>>
>> * graphical modeler: dynamically read in module list + path
>> --> the locally installed Addons are not shown in the list.
>> ==> right, addons are also not shown in the search tree or the menu,
>> please report it on trac
>> Reported as: http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1420
>> --> open
> The new graphical modeler is fairly new and experimental and somehow
> sneaked into 6.4.2
>>
>> * display of attrcol in windows wxGUI crashes (d.vect)
>> --> open
> This is #1184, right? Should be fixed together with #1158, to be confirmed.
>>
>> * wxGUI windows: manuals tab: bind arrow keys / pgup / pgdown to
>> scrolling for easier navigation
>> - ML: it's working for me, you just need to click on the manual for
>> the focus. Do you mean to set the focus automatically when the page is
>> entered?
>> - MM: this focus thing is a bit difficult, and dangerous to fiddle
>> around with because MS Windows has different focus ?handling than
>> Linux/Mac --> preserve portability
>> --> open
> [...]

If raster importer and graphical modeler are removed, then it seems from other posts that all blocker items are resolved. We we want to consider keeping either of these, it sounds from the error report that the raster importer bug may be relatively easy to fix. The modeler is very cool but still in development AFAICT. I'll try some more testing. In any case, the modeler must have docs before any real release.

Michael