[GRASS-dev] wxGUI: new packages layout

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Dec 2 14:42:48 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope that the most of bugs related to wxGUI code reorganization
> should be already fixed. Anyway any testing is highly welcomed, most
> of bugs are very easy to fix, they just need to be discovered;-)
>
> Currently we are in the complicated situation, GUI modules are
> different in trunk and devbr6/relbr64. It causes that any backport
> trunk -> devbr6/relbr64 is very time consuming task, in other words,
> `svn merge` will not work.

yes

> We hope that 6.4.2 will be released before Christmas,

yes, that should happen very soon.

> so I would expect 6.4.3 to be out in May/July. GRASS 7
> development goes slowly, personally I would be not surprised to see
> 6.4.4 released in the end of year 2012.

Personally I am interested to switch to GRASS 7 now since
6.4 is fine enough for the "market".

> From this perspective it's
> unrealistic to keep two completely different wxGUI code bases.

I agree - Luca and me tried to backport something yesterday,
a real hard "grep" task...

> I think
> that this period is perfect for GUI modules reorganization also in
> devbr6/relbr64. I would suggest the roadmap below:
>
> 1) within next days reorganize wxGUI modules in devbr6 based on the
> layout from trunk

You mean: shuffle files around but not new code from GRASS 7?
that could be fine.

> 2) stabilize wxGUI in devb6 within one-two weeks

I guess it will be a bit more effectively...

> 3) *after* releasing 6.4.2 backport new layout also to relbr64

Question: how much to 6.4 and 6.5 differ *now*?

> The result will be the same GUI package layout in all active branches,

This I would definitely support.

> this condition is very important for wxGUI backports for 6.4.3
> release.

Markus