[GRASS-dev] winGRASS: PATHEXT question

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Dec 4 01:08:58 EST 2011

Hamish wrote:

> > I have checked $PATHEXT which contains beside EXE
> > also PY extension.
> > The problem is that sh.exe ignores PATHEXT, right?
>
> I'm pretty sure that is correct, PATHEXT is only
> recognized by DOS & cmd.exe

Right. But note that "cmd.exe" doesn't just mean running cmd.exe
interactively in a console window, but also C's system() and popen(),
Python's subprocess.Popen(), Windows' ShellExecute(), etc.

If the .py extension is removed, bash will still recognise it as a
script via the shebang, but native Windows APIs won't be able to
execute it.