[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r49533 - grass/branches/develbranch_6/gui/scripts

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 08:25:58 EST 2011

2011/12/5  <svn_grass at osgeo.org>:
> Author: hamish
> Date: 2011-12-04 16:05:50 -0800 (Sun, 04 Dec 2011)
> New Revision: 49533
>
> Modified:
>   grass/branches/develbranch_6/gui/scripts/g.extension.py
> Log:
> avoid unnecessary build clutter in private installs (see #1501, sync with r49527);
> only create build dirs for option=add

I *really* don't understand why all (almost all) the files needs to be
moved around by `g.extension`. Let's keep in GRASS6 things as they are
(how targets are defined my building system, in concrete, let's keep
man pages in `man`, don't move them to `docs\man`). Let's invest
energy to GRASS7, let's make changes directly in the building system,
in this case modify GRASS7 to install man pages to `$ARCH_DIR/docs`,
similarly for other issues. Your changes make `g.extension` in G6 more
and more complicated, less readable, please keep the things simple. I
can't see anything good when over-complicated `g.extension` tries to
"fix" standard installation made by building system. It's tricky, just
waste of time, keep to decide building system where is target of the
files. Modify build system directly, don't try to hack `g.extension`
to get what you want. GRASS7 is a playground not GRASS6.

I am asking you to revert all the recent changes in `g.extension`
(BASH and Python) and keep in GRASS6 things as defined by building
system. Then we can discuss how to change building system in GRASS7 to
satisfy all the needs.

Personally, I am confused from `g.extension` in G6, it's starting to
more and more complicated, tries to "fix" building system, RC3
requested by you. Nothing good for my POV. Please let's keep things
simple, don't introduce more and more hacks into `g.extension` in G6,
rather invest time to the changes building system in G7!

Only one acceptable "hack" for me is creating the symlink/copy for
exe/bat files ($GRASS_ADDON_PATH/bin -> $GRASS_ADDON_PATH) nothing
more.

What is the option of other developers?

Martin