[GRASS-dev] GRASS extensions/addons mismatch

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 14:32:18 EST 2011

Hi,

2011/12/18 Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com>:
> IMHO, g.extensions should be only one module, not two versions ( one
> as script, one through the wxGUI). Considering that 6.x has two GUIs,
> any extension installer should not be restricted to a particular GUI
> which for GRASS 6.x means a no-go for the wxGUI version. The GRASS 6.x

[...]

generally speaking I agree. Unfortunately there is one big BUT.

There are many new features which have been implemented in
`gui/script/g.extensions.py`

Extra flags:

 -c   List available extensions in the GRASS Addons SVN repository
including module description
 -g   List available extensions in the GRASS Addons SVN repository
(shell script style)
 -a   List locally installed extension
 -d   Download source code and exit
 -i   Don't install new extension, just compile it
 -f   Force removal when uninstalling extension (operation=remove)

When listing extension it reads metafile from the remote server -
http://grass.osgeo.org/addons/grass6.xml. Bash script just parses
`index.html` (wget from SVN). Python version can install extensions on
Windows, Bash script not.

There was discussion about replacing g.extension (bash script) by
Python version in GRASS 6. Hamish was strictly against that. I
personally think that g.extension is too much complicated module to be
a Bash script. I don't want to re-open this discussion, because it
will probably leads to the same result. Anyway wxGUI extension relies
on extra functionality of `gui/script/g.extension.py` and currently it
can be hardly replaced by `script/g.extension` functionality.

Martin