[GRASS-dev] GRASS-dev] 6.4.1 blocker bugs?

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Tue Feb 1 10:08:33 EST 2011

On Jan 30, 2011, at 5:26 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:38:21 -0500
> From: Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] GRASS-dev] 6.4.1 blocker bugs?
> To: Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>
> Cc: "grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org list" <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Martin,
>
> thanks a lot for all the fixes - I got the release branch compiled and tested and I can confirm that
> everything mentioned below and the histogram now work.
>
> Only import still gives me trouble and this may be on Mac an Windows only (Michael, William does this work for you?
> almost all my students had trouble with this)
> For import with Common import formats (both raster and vector)
> I tried different options and all file names are always greyed out and cannot be selected on Mac.
> Import works when Directory is selected, because then I select directory and the shape files within it are loaded.
> Import of files through the Command dialog works.
> Maybe I am not understanding the File option in the Pannel "Import Raster Data" correctly?

I agree with Helena here. Thanks for all the recent fixes. However, the common import dialog/wrapper for r.in.gdal and v.in.ogr still has a number of problems.

Perhaps we could just stick with the original module dialogs for 6.4 so that there is time to get this custom import dialog working well. I can see how it could simplify the sometimes puzzling syntax of v.in.ogr but I'm not sure that it is any easier to navidate than r.in.gdal even if working right.

> And one more issues as I keep trying new things -
> d.rast.num - does nothing for me even if I zoom to just few grid cells (when doing this I discovered the option to display the
> computational region boundary in the map display - very nice and useful feature).
> d.rast.arrow - just colors the raster green - I don't see any arrows

I can test again, but this works for me on the Mac. The key, as you surmise, Helena, is to have the resolution of the display match the computation region resolution so that when you zoom in, only a few cells are displayed. It took a bit of playing with this, but I got it to work recently.

Cheers
Michael