[GRASS-dev] v.generalize and LatLong?

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 17 16:03:00 EST 2011

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if v.generalize should work in LatLong? I tried to use the
> displacement but the result is identical. Maybe a map unit (threshold
> given in meters but currently considered in map units = degree?).

I guess v.generalize uses map units, i.e. degrees for latlong, but
guessing without checking every single smoothing and simplification
method. At least I can't remember having seen anything when I last
went over the code of v.generalize. Functionality handling latlong
should be implemented in the vector libs (there is already
Vect_line_geodesic_length() but that is not enough).

Markus M